At least 46 people have died on Mt. Hood since 2002
Officials announced that one person has died after arriving at the hospital Tuesday afternoon, after being stranded while trying to summit Mt. Hood.
Rescue crews are working through treacherous conditions to rescue at least 8 injured and stranded climbers on Mount Hood, and an overnight storm could bring more snow to the mountain.
But how often do people die on Mt. Hood? Portland Mountain Rescue reports detail the incidents:
- August 15, 2017: Emma Place and Emily Lang, both 19, died after falling 150-feet off the Pacific Crest Trail cliff while attempting to climb Mount Hood.
- May 7, 2017: 32-year-old John Thorton Jenkins fell at about 11:30 a.m. while near the Hogsback climbing area.
- March 16, 2017: Crews found the body of 57-year-old Steve Leavitt, a skier who was reported missing earlier in the month near Mt. Hood Meadows.
- June 4, 2015: Ward Maxwell, 66, falls to his death from the popular Mazama Chutes route.
- December 31, 2014: 37-year-old Brian Fletcher died while skiing the Middle Reynolds Trail toward Low Road when he caught an edge and fell.
- Aug. 11, 2013: Sebastian Kinasiewicz, 32, dies after plunging more than 100 stories on a solo climb at Cooper Spur.
- August 3, 2013: Collin Backowski, 25, was trapped when an ice tunnel collapsed on him.
- June 30, 2013: Body of 59-year-old climber Kinley Adams recovered on solo Leuthold climb.
- April 2013: Josef Desch, 51, died at Mt. Hood Meadows after skiing into a tree.
- March 2013: Search and rescue crews found the body of Russell Tiffany, 23, in a creek in an out-of-bounds ski area just west of Ski Bowl a few hundred feet from Highway 26.
- June 14, 2012: Solo climber Mark Cartier, 56, died due to injuries sustained by falling from a point above and west of the Hogsback into the Hot Rocks area west of Crater Rock. He had reportedly summited the mountain hundreds of times.
- February 6, 2012: Body of 31 year-old solo climber Jared Townsley found on White River Glacier.
- January 2012: Taylur DeWolf, 17, died after crashing into a tree while skiing.
- March 2012: James Malcarne, 37, died after crashing into a tree while skiing.
- January 2011: Willam James Cannard, 41, died while skiing at Mt. Hood Meadows on a double black-diamond run along steep terrain.
- December 2010: Ilya P. Sirosh, 15, died on Mt Hood Meadows snowboarding.
- June 16, 2010: Robert Dale Wiebe from Canada was separated from his groud and accidentally traversed Coe Glacier, where he fell 700 feet to his death.
- April 2010: Joshua Halberg, 19, died at Mt. Hood Meadows snowboarding, after an accident in which he was attempting an inverted aerial maneuver.
- March 2010: Levi Krukowski, 18, died while snowboarding.
- February 2010: Kyle Cryblskey, 23, died at Mt. Hood Meadows snowboarding after going a jump made of snow and appearing to have landed on his head.
- Dec. 13, 2009: Three climbers die on Reid Glacier.
- Jan. 21, 2009: Brooke Colvin, 31, fell 400 feet to her death after a chunk of ice struck her in the face, and she falls 400 feet to her death, while climbing in Hogsback/Pearly Gates.
- July 28, 2008: 55-year-old climber dies after falling from Cooper Spur, while climbing with his son.
- January 13, 2007: Body of man recovered in Ski Bowl area.
- December 2007: Eric McConeghy, 28, died at Mt. Hood Meadows while snowboarding, after falling headfirst in deep snow.
- January 2007: Geoffry Bradeen, 45, died at Mt. Hood Meadows while skiing.
- December 17, 2006: The body of one climber is found. His two friends bodies were never located.
- June 2005: Todd R. Engelhardt, 34, died while climbing Cooper Spur, after falling at least 2,000 feet.
- October 23, 2004: Body of hiker found in Palmer Snowfield.
- August 2004: Sarah Bishop, 27, died while trying to cross the Sandy River while hiking the Timberline Trail.
- May 13, 2004: 57-year-old Rev. Robert J. Cormier fell to his death while climbing near Eliot Glacier.
- February 2004: Scott A. Tyler, 29, died at Mt. Hood Meadows. while snowboarding one of the most difficult runs.
- January 2004: Matthew Kixmiller 29, died at Mt. Hood Meadows while skiing.
- November 2004: Kenny Dale Kasselder, 37, died while climbing on the Sandy Glacier. He fell into a 30-foot crevasse.
- March 6, 2003: Body of missing snowshoer not found. Search called off.
- January 2003: Alexander R. Stacey, 12, died during a ski lesson at Mt. Hood Meadows.
- August 2002: Kees Nederhand, 14, died while skiing alongside the Palmer Glacier.
- May 30, 2002: Three people die after 9 climbers falls into the Bergschrund crevasse. A helicopter then crashes during the search and rescue mission, injuring at least two, but killing no one.
- May 24, 2002: Argentine snowboarder dies on north face of the mountain