WASHOUGAL, Wash. -- A nine-year-old Washougal boy is putting on a brave face after a 20-pound rock struck his family's apartment and landed in his room.
"It went through the roof and the attic floor, so it was probably coming in pretty hard," said Brody Schlosser.
The rock was set loose Wednesday afternoon during utility line blasting at a nearby subdivision under construction. Officials with the Camas-Washougal Fire Department and the company doing the blasting, North Idaho Drilling Inc., say a blast mat somehow failed. Blast mats are heavy pieces of tire flaps used to suppress debris when blasting occurs.
Schlosser was home at the time but wasn't in his room. He was sitting downstairs at the kitchen table doing homework. He initially heard one blast, which wasn't uncommon because neighbors had been notified blasting could occur for months. But a second, louder noise startled him.
"I just jumped," he said.
His father, who was also in the apartment, was also startled. But it wasn't until Schlosser went into his room and discovered the rock that he realized what happened.
"I was shocked for a second so I just yelled my dad's name," he said.
Blasting company representatives knew there was a problem because they showed up at the apartment minutes later. The president of North Idaho Drilling Inc. told KATU News the mishap was a rare occurrence.
"Washington Labor & Industries is doing an investigation," said Eric Shawn Lenz. "We will be responsible for repairs, and we're just happy that no one was hurt."
Lenz didn't want to comment any further until an investigation is complete.
It's hard for Schlosser not to think about what might have been.
"I thought it could break a couple ribs or kill me," he said. "I don't really know."
His sister is also shaken by what happened.
"I don't know what I would do if he had been in there and he had been injured or if he would have been killed," said Avery Esrael. "I would have lost my mind."
Lenz says the blasting project isn't complete and Schlosser's mother, Amy, reported blasting had resumed Friday morning.