COOS BAY, Ore. -- A fire at a Coos Bay apartment hospitalized three people, one with critical injuries.
Around 2 p.m. Saturday, Coos Bay Fire Department was dispatched to 275 N Broadway Street, the location of the Tioga Hotel in the heart of downtown Coos Bay, for smoke coming from the seventh floor.
Firefighters found light smoke coming from one of the residential apartments on that floor.
Crews quickly made their way to the seventh floor where they located two victims outside the apartment.
"The victims were removed and transported to Bay Area Hospital," Coos Bay Fire Department said. "One victim was listed in critical condition and is expected to be flown to Legacy Emmanuel Hospital’s Burn Center in Portland; the other patient was in stable condition and expected to be released soon."
One additional patient was transported to Bay Area Hospital due to exertion from evacuating the building, but was also listed in stable condition, officials said.
Mutual aid was requested from both Charleston Rural Fire Protection District and North Bend Fire Department to aid in searching for any additional victims and to evacuate occupants from adjacent floors.
The fire was isolated to the kitchen area of the apartment and was determined to be caused from a cooking appliance that was placed on the range with a burner turned on, the report said.
Damage to the apartment is estimated at around $10,000.
The apartment did not have any working smoke detectors, the department said.
Other agencies responding included Charleston Rural Fire Protection District, North Bend Fire Department, Bay Cities Ambulance, Coos Bay Police Department, and the Coos County Mutual Aid Coordinator.