Wild West Shootout: Ducks downed in OT

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Two days after missing a potential game-winning 3-pointer, UTEP's Konner Tucker got a second chance in a big home game against an elite opponent Wednesday night.

This time Tucker drilled it.

The senior transfer's shot with 13 seconds left in triple overtime against Oregon broke open a one-possession game and led the Miners to a 91-84 victory, almost exactly 48 hours after Tucker's miss at the buzzer in a 62-60 loss to No. 21 UNLV.

"That was nice to hit," Tucker said of his 3-pointer, which gave UTEP (4-5) an 86-81 lead in the fourth triple-overtime game in school history. "I wish I had hit the last one. Keep shooting and good things happen. It was a great pass from Jacques (Streeter) and I was lucky to knock it down."

After making 1 of 11 3-point shots in regulation and the first two overtimes, UTEP was 2 for 2 in the third extra period, including the second career 3-pointer from John Bohannon, who fouled out with 21 points. His 3 with 2:18 remaining put UTEP's lead at 84-80.

"Playing this quality of team, the idea is to get better," said Miners coach Tim Floyd, whose team suffered early losses to Arizona, Oklahoma, Clemson and Vanderbilt. "You get better or you wilt and you learn how to lose. We didn't do that. We continued to get better. We were better than we were (against UNLV)."

UTEP's Julian Washburn led all scorers with 23 points and Bohannon had 10 rebounds to go with his 21 points.

Damyean Dotson had 20 points to lead Oregon (9-2) while Carlos Emory scored 18.

After UTEP led most of the first 30 minutes, there were 13 ties and 13 lead changes in the final 10:15 of regulation and the three overtimes.

The Ducks shot a season-low 29 percent from the field in the first half against a triangle-and-two and box-and-one defense from the Miners. After bouncing back to shoot 52 percent in the second half, Oregon managed just 38 percent shooting in the three overtimes.

"We didn't move it like I thought we would," Oregon coach Dana Altman said. "We worked on it the last couple of days, but the ball movement was really bad. We did not execute and that's my fault."

Still, both teams had plenty of chances to win.

Bohannon was at the line with 4 seconds left in regulation and his team down 62-61, but made only 1 of 2 free throws to tie the game at 62-62.

Neither team made much of last possessions in the first two overtimes. The Miners had the last shot of the first OT but Washburn missed a contested 3-pointer at the buzzer, then Oregon's Dominic Artis and Arsalan Kazemi both missed 3-pointers in the final 2.2 seconds of the second overtime.

The end of regulation, by contrast, was frantic.

Bohannon's offensive rebound and layup with 20 seconds left briefly gave the Miners a 59-58 advantage, but Artis went coast-to-coast for a lead-changing basket at the 9-second mark. UTEP didn't call timeout, broke the other way and found Bohannon under the basket, where he was fouled to set up the final sequence.

UTEP finished 30 of 41 from the free-throw line while Oregon was just 14 of 27.

"The game was decided at the free-throw line," Altman said.

Said Floyd: "A young team, playing a quality team, needs to believe it can do that every game. Every game we've played has been down to the wire. ... This win was very important."

UTEP also got 14 points from Cedrick Lang and 12 each from Streeter and Tucker. Streeter also had eight assists.

Artis added 15 points and six assists for Oregon, while Kazemi had 13 points and 16 rebounds.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)