Woman giving birth to baby girl loses home to fire

ROSEBURG, Ore. - A woman giving birth to a baby girl lost her home to a house fire Wednesday morning.

Now the community is rallying to support the family.

All that remained Thursday of the massive blaze was caution tape and boarded up windows.

It was a very different scene Wednesday morning.

"When we left the station, you know, we could see the smoke from quite a distance away," said Fire Marshal Tony DiMare. "We arrived on scene and decided right away that we were going to need to bring in additional personnel.

"There was quite a bit of damage to the structure."

The Southgate Market heard about the fire and decided to help.

"We heard they lost the house and she was in labor, and I figured the least we could do is put out a donation jar and let our customers know what's going on," said Kim Roberts.

Market employees said the community is pitching in to help out their neighbors.

"Within a matter of 4, 4 and a half hours we had 200 bucks already," Eleazar Aragonez said. "We had people coming in not even to purchase anything, just to come in and donate."

Across the parking lot, the Roseburg Dream Center has also offered assistance.

"They're taking the larger donations, the clothing," Roberts said. "They have the empty bay out there they've donated that to hold the stuff until the family is ready and can move that stuff in."

As a result of the fire, a newborn girl, a 3-year-old boy and the family adults need clothing.

The boy wears a size 4c and 11 shoe. The mom wears size 3/4 pants, medium shirts and size 7 1/2 shoe.

The father wears 34/36 pants, large shirts and size 13 shoes.

The baby is a 7 pounds, 11 ounces.

The Roseburg Dream Center at 1900 SE Main is accepting the clothing, furniture, household items, toys and bigger things. They are open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday.