Two teens overdose on dangerous 'designer drug'

SHERWOOD, Ore. -- The overdoses of two teenage girls in Sherwood led to the arrest of a 17-year-old boy, Washington County sheriff's deputies said.

Sgt. Dave Thompson warned parents that the drug, known as "25i" and has also been called "Smiles" and "N-Bomb" may be becoming more common in the Northwest and that other teenagers in Sherwood could also have the same drug the two girls overdosed on.

It is generally taken by putting a small piece of paper on your tongue or in your mouth, allowing the liquid chemical to be absorbed. Parents should watch for small pieces of paper, similar to stamps, that may contain cartoons or other pictures.

The case surfaced Friday evening when an off-duty sheriff's deputy driving on Southwest Woodhaven Drive in Sherwood spotted a 16-year-old girl having a seizure on the side of the road, according to a news release from the Washington County Sheriff's Office. Two other teens were with her.

As deputies stopped and rendered aid to the girl, the other 17-year-old girl began having a seizure.

Both girls were taken to Providence Hospital in Newberg. There, they told deputies they had taken the drug "25i," a synthetic, hallucinogenic drug that can cause severe side effects, including seizures, deputies said.

The Drug Enforcement Administration outlawed the drug 25i and similar compounds in November, adding it has been linked to 19 deaths.

A 17-year-old boy, who was at the scene with the girls, was later arrested on two counts of recklessly endangering another person. Deputies said he supplied the 25i to the girls.

Deputies said the same drug may have been distributed to "numerous" people in the Sherwood area and are cautioning parents to keep a look out for abnormal behavior in their teens.

School Response

The 17-year-old boy arrested and the 16-year-old girl who overdosed attend Sherwood High School. The school district said it's conducting its own investigation to see if any drug use or sales happened on school grounds. There is also a plan to provide educational information about the drug to students and parents by the end of the week.

'We've asked kids about 25i, and we haven't had any kids who even know what it is at this point," said Principal Ken Bell.

Several teens outside Sherwood High School told KATU as well they didn't know about the drug until this happened.

"I didn't know our town would get it I guess," said one sophomore.

"My parents talked to me about it now, and I think it's just good to get the word out, like don't do it," said another sophomore student.