MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Roseburg home suffers thousands in damage after clothing next to wall heater causes fire

Roseburg Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 519 W. Harrison Street in Rosebrg, Nov. 18, 2017. (Roseburg Fire Department photo)u

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Firefighters in Roseburg battled an early morning house fire Saturday.

At 4:51 a.m. Saturday, Roseburg Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 519 W. Harrison Street reported by the occupants of the home.

Firefighters arrived to a single-family home with light smoke showing.

After ensuring all occupants were safely outside, firefighters extinguished the fire, which was contained to a bathroom and its contents

One patient was evaluated for smoke inhalation and refused treatment, officials said.

The structure, which is valued at $132,000, sustained approximately $32,000 in damage, the department estimated.

The cause was determined to be clothing being stored next to an operating electric wall heater in the bathroom, officials said,

A smoke detector was found in the residence but failed to operate due to a battery not being in place, the report said.

Roseburg Fire Department reminds citizens that a working smoke alarm saves lives.

"It is vital that you have a working smoke alarm in your home to ensure your family's safety from a fire," the department said in a news release. "Working smoke alarms provide a critical early warning to a fire, allowing you vital minutes to escape, which increase your chances of survival."

Here are some safety tips from RFD:

  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, in each bedroom, and outside each sleeping area (hallway).
  • Never disconnect or remove batteries from smoke alarms for other uses.
  • Use the smoke alarm's hush feature to silence nuisance alarms such as cooking smoke or shower steam.
  • Make a home fire escape plan and practice it with family members.

Trending