Police video shows arrest in bar parking lot

EUGENE, Ore. - As the police cars race down Eugene's streets, a dispatcher's plea can be heard in the background of the dashcam video: "All available units respond to Good Times, Code 3" - respond with lights and sirens on.

One of the cameras provides a first-person view of the scene: a man on the ground with police on top of him, surrounded by more police.

At one point, the man begins convulsing face down on the pavement.

The man on the ground is Jessie Wright, who was booked February 23 as he left his 30th birthday celebration at the Good Times tavern.

Police arrested him on accusations he resisted arrest and turned a police stun gun on an officer after drunkenly accosting police.

Wright remained jailed until he accepted a negotiated plea agreement on lesser charges March 11. He was sentenced to time served.

KVAL News spoke to Wright off-camera on Tuesday. He declined an on-camera interview at this time.

His friend Mark Rogers said the police dash-cam videos back up Wright's supporters and their contention he didn't do anything wrong.

"It was very clear through the whole recorded incident that never once did Jessie point his finger at anybody's face," Rogers told KVAL News. "Jessie was leaving as they were telling him to leave."

KVAL News reviewed two DVDs of material provided by Rogers. He said police released the videos to Wright's attorney.

The Eugene Police Department declined any comment for this story.

Good Times manager Brian Devoss didn't want to go on camera with a statement but told KVAL News that the bar has a zero tolerance policy on unruly behavior and that Wright was out of line that night before he encountered police in the parking lot.

In the video, Wright can be heard cursing at officers and complaining he had water in his ear. At one point, he is seen on the ground having what his mother later called a grand mal seizure.

The videos do not appear to capture the start of the confrontation, however.

Rogers said Wright plans to appeal his conviction.

KVAL News asked Rogers how he, Wright and others might have better handled the situation.

"We should have left earlier," Rogers said. "We probably shouldn't have been in such high spirits."

But he reiterated that he didn't see Wright try to resist arrest that night and that police used the Taser on Wright, not vice versa.