Man jailed on attempted murder charge in Junction City shooting

JUNCTION CITY, Ore. - A 26-year-old woman found unresponsive from a gunshot wound was rushed to the hospital, and a man was later taken in for questioning after he was located in Creswell, 20 to miles to the south.

The victim was initially in critical condition Monday, police said. Her condition was not known Tuesday.

Authorities initially called the man located in Creswell a "person of interest."

The sheriff later booked Joseph Eska, 24, into the Lane County Jail on a charge of attempted murder.

Junction City Police Chief Mark Chase said Eska is reportedly the woman's fiance. He said police had not responded to the home in the past.

Police checked on the home after getting a call after midnight from someone concerned about the woman's well being.

Officers were greeted at the door by 3 children.

"We took custody of them and they're safe and sound and in the custody of a family member," Chase said.

In securing and searching the home, officers found Katie Prideflower Ortiz, who had suffered a gunshot wound to the head.

"They entered in and found a lone female down on the ground with a critical gunshot wound," Chase said. "We brought in medics as soon as we could and transported her code 3 to the hospital."

Chase declined to comment further on the location or nature of the injury beyond saying it was an apparent gunshot wound.

Investigators started looking Eska, Chase said. They located him at a home in Creswell, about 20 miles to the south.

Kristi Stevahn lives next door.

"Got a call from my neighbor there was a standoff and woke up to armored trucks and police officers, guns drawn," she said. "The armored truck had asked the suspect to come out. He came out they arrested him."

Sgt. Carrie Carver with the Lane County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded wtih tactical equipment out of concern for safety.

"The person of interest remained inside the home, so for safety in this situation we ended up using one of our rescue vehicles," she said. "It was actually pretty quick because the residents were so cooperative and they did come out and talk to us.

"Once we brought in that rescue vehicle, it all happened pretty quickly and the person was cooperative."