Former Roseburg man gets 33 years for attack on boy

PORTLAND, Ore. - The suspect in a brutal stabbing attack and sexual assault on a young boy in a Northeast Portland Wendy's restaurant in July has pleaded guilty to all counts and received a 33-year prison sentence in a plea deal.

Adam Lee Brown, 49, of Portland, faced numerous charges including attempted murder, kidnapping and assault following a harrowing and bloody attack July 1 on a 10-year-old boy inside the Wendy's location on NE Sandy Boulevard.

After Brown grabbed the boy inside the Wendy's restaurant, the boy fought back, and Brown then pulled him into a bathroom, tried to sexually assault him and stabbed him.

The boy's father tried to open the door but had to get the manager to unlock it. At that point, Brown opened the door, shoved the injured boy outside and then locked himself inside the restroom. Several people who were in the restaurant held the door shut until police arrived.

The boy was cut several times and was taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery.

Brown barricaded himself in the bathroom for several hours and said he had a gun. Eventually, he surrendered to SERT members who had evacuated the restaurant and closed roads around the business. A gun was never found.

The boy's parents had the prosecutor read a statement to Brown in court on Wednesday, saying "you are a sick evil twisted human being. The horror our son feels will always be in the depths of his mind, but broken is something he'll never be."

Brown was declared a "predatory" sex offender after he was convicted for sodomy in December of 1993.

According to news reports from KPIC and others in 1993, Brown had unprotected sex with children and tried to infect them with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Prosecutors said he victimized nine kids, five of whom were exposed to HIV. He targeted both male and female children between two and eight years old.

Brown sexually assaulted children who were in the care of acquaintances, and gave them drugs and alcohol, according to the sex offender registry.

He was not allowed to have contact with minors after his release or frequent places where minors regularly congregate.

He was paroled in 2004. His original sentence was 16 years, which means he would have gotten out of jail in 2009 whether his parole was denied or allowed.

At the time of the attack, Brown also had an outstanding warrant for a parole violation.