Festival of Lights partners with Disney to bring displays featuring 'Frozen' characters
ROSEBURG, Ore. -- The Umpqua Valley Festival of Lights opens Sunday, November 19 at River Forks Park near Roseburg.
It’s a milestone season for the Festival, which turns 25 this year. To mark the occasion, organizers have announced a partnership with Disney and an ambitious expansion of the schedule at the Holiday Village.
In addition to the more than 90 lighted displays, the World’s Largest Nutcracker and wagon rides, Festival visitors will see not one, but two lighted displays featuring characters from Disney’s Frozen.
Also, the Holiday Village will be open seven nights a week between opening nights and Christmas Eve, giving children across Douglas County the chance to see Santa any night of the week. Admission to the Holiday Village is free with the purchase of a $10 ticket to drive through the Festival of Lights.
“This will be the biggest and best Festival we have ever had,” said Festival of Lights Founder Kerwin Doughton. “Cooperating with Disney has been very satisfying and expanding the schedule at the Holiday Village will make every night of the week special.”
Dozens of sponsors and volunteers are working together to produce the 25th edition of the Festival of Lights, which operates from November 19 through January 1 from 5:30–9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 5:30–10 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights.
The Eugene Ballet’s performance of the Nutcracker Ballet kicks everything off at noon on November 19 at UCC’s Jacoby Auditorium. Advanced tickets are available for $15 at Northwest Lifestyles in downtown Roseburg. Tickets will be $17 at the door, but the event is expected to sell out.
The Festival of Lights began with a $15,000 down payment by the Roseburg Rotary Club in 1993. It has now drawn approximately 550,000 visitors and generated more than $200,000 in scholarship money for local high school graduates.
You can also find the personal Facebook account of the World’s Largest Nutcracker, Herr Woody Winterguard and follow him on Twitter @KingNutcracker.
• November 21 - Canned Food Night – Free admission with 5 donated food items for UCAN
• December 2 - Saving Grace Night – 50% of proceeds go to Saving Grace Animal Shelter
• December 3 - Northwest Community Credit Union Night – Free admission w NWCU card
• December 5 - Bi-Mart Night – Free admission with Bi-Mart Card
• December 16 - Rogue Credit Union Night – Free admission with Rogue Credit Union card
• December 17 - Veterans’ Night – Free admission to Veterans and Active Duty Military members with proof of service. Sponsored by Clint Newell Auto Group