MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Discarded ashes from wood stove ignite outbuilding fire on Old Melrose Road

A fire next to an outbuilding at a residence on W. Old Melrose Road Tuesday evening brought a response from the Roseburg fire Department. (RFD)

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A fire next to an outbuilding at a residence on W. Old Melrose Road Tuesday evening brought a response from the Roseburg fire Department.

The fire happened just after 8:20 p.m. and was reported by the homeowners.

Arriving firefighters found a fully involved portable free standing structure with flames spreading to a nearby storage building, the report said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was contained to the free standing structure and storage building. It did not spread to the residential structure on the property, the report said.

The fire damage was contained to the two outbuildings and contents. The free-standing structure had a motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle inside.

There were no reported injuries.

The two outbuildings and contents, which fire officials said are valued at $60,000, sustained approximately $20,000 in damage.

The cause of the fire was investigated and determined to be discarded ashes from the homeowner's wood stove.

10 firefighters assisted on the call. Other agencies assisting included Pacific Power, Avista Utilities, and Roseburg Police Department.

The Roseburg Fire Department reminds citizens that heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February.

Here are some steps that can prevent most heating-related fires from happening:

  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot "kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer's instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

Trending