Court docs: 9-month-old found dead had severe sexual trauma

Editor's note: Some of the details in this story are graphic.

RICHLAND, Wash. -- The 9-month-old baby found dead in her crib last week suffered severe vaginal trauma, according to the autopsy. The child's mother found Serenity Reedy dead in her crib Friday morning.

The mother's boyfriend, 36-year-old Jose Aguilar, was nowhere to be found. He's suspected in the baby's death. Aguilar recently moved in with the mother to her home on Log Lane at a trailer park off Stevens Drive.

A forensic pathologist said the baby died of blunt trauma to the head. She had two separate skull fractures. Investigators found blood in Serenity's diaper and discovered the child suffered severe trauma to her vagina. The child's death is being investigated as a homicide.

Detectives interviewed Jennifer Reedy who told them she left her daughter in Aguilar's care for several hours while she did laundry and went to Walmart, according to court documents. She said Serenity sounded fine when she returned home around 9:00 p.m. Thursday night. Reedy said Aguilar wanted to have sex that night but she told him no. She said Aguilar told her he would go take care of himself. He left to go to the bathroom and returned after 30 minutes.

Reedy said she woke up around 3:00 a.m. and Aguilar was gone, but she didn't look for him. When she checked on Serenity Friday morning she found her purple in her crib. She told investigators she thought the baby was dead and called 9-1-1.

Investigators said they reached Aguilar on his cell phone Friday afternoon and recorded the phone call. According to documents, Aguilar said he took care of Serenity for several hours Thursday night. He told them he was laying on the living room floor with the baby, he put her on the couch and left the room for a moment. Aguilar told them he heard a thud and came back to the living room where he saw Serenity on her back. He looked her over and found she had no bruises.

A forensic pathologist said the baby's fall from the couch to the floor could not account for the head injury.

Police said Aguilar fled the state and told police he was in Oregon and agreed to return to the Tri-Cities, according to the probable cause statement. However, police obtained a search warrant to track Aguilar's cell phone. Officers found him on a Greyhound bus in Barstow, California where they arrested him.

Aguilar is being held on first degree manslaughter charges at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, California.