Christmas Tree Permits on sale for Umpqua National Forest
ROSEBURG, Ore. – For many families, the excursion into the forest to cut a Christmas tree is an annual holiday tradition.
Christmas tree permits are on sale until December 22 at all Umpqua National Forest offices.
Permits are available at Umpqua National Forest offices in Roseburg, Glide, Tiller, Toketee, and Cottage Grove between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. All offices will be open the days leading up to Thanksgiving.
Weather permitting, the North Umpqua Ranger Station in Glide will be open the weekends of November 25-26 and December 2 -3 and 9 – 10 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tree permits are also available at local vendors.
The permits are for personal use only and cost $5 per tree. There’s a limit of five tree permits per household. Permits may be used only on those lands open to Christmas tree harvesting on the Umpqua National Forest. Maps identifying these areas will be provided at the time of permit purchase.
As part of the ongoing national initiative Every Kid in a Park, fourth graders who get their free pass to access thousands of fee sites across the country may also bring that pass into their local Forest Service office and receive one Christmas tree permit, free of charge. To get the fourth graders in your life their free Every Kid in a Park pass, visit https://www.everykidinapark.gov. Note that the Every Kid in a Park pass holder must be present, with his or her pass, to receive the free permit.
Forest visitors are advised to be prepared for adverse weather and winter road conditions when heading out to the woods. Safety measures include packing warm clothing, a winter survival kit containing traction devices, a shovel, saw or ax, flares, flashlight, food and water, and matches in your vehicle. Always travel with a full tank of gas. Watch for log trucks on forest roads. Be sure to tell someone where you are going before you leave and your expected return time.
For more information, contact the Umpqua National Forest Supervisor’s Office at (541) 957-3200.
Locations for 2017 -- Christmas Tree Permits are Available
- Sportsman’s Warehouse (2122 NW Stewart Pkwy, Roseburg, OR 97471) (541) 673-0200 Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., Friday & Saturday, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Glide Store (117 Brown Street, Glide, OR 97443) (541) 496-0154 Monday-Sunday, 6 a.m. -10 p.m.
- Peel Country Store (6019 Little River Road, Glide, OR 97443) (541) 496-9100 Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday & Sunday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Idleyld Trading Post (23873 N Umpqua Highway, Idleyld Park, OR 97447) (541) 496-3404 Open 7 days a week 6 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Diamond Lake Resort (350 Resort Drive, Diamond Lake, OR 97731) (541) 793-3333 Open 7 days a week 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Myrtle Creek City Hall (207 NW Pleasant Street, Myrtle Creek, OR 97457) (541) 863-3171 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Closed for lunch, noon - 1 p.m.
- Canyon Market (425 N Main Street, Canyonville, OR 97417) (541) 839-4105 Monday-Friday, 4 a.m. - midnight, Saturday & Sunday, 5 a.m. - midnight
- Strong’s Market (11245 Tiller Trail Highway, Days Creek, OR 97429) (541) 825-3645 Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Bear Market (5550 S. Umpqua Road, Tiller, OR 97484) 541-825-3981 or 541-825-3331 Open Wednesday-Sunday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
- Killion’s Market (33399 Row River Road, Cottage Grove, OR 97424) (541) 767-9690 Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. – 10 p.m., Saturday, 6 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday, 7 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Kirk & Family Mercantile (37570 Row River Road, Dorena, OR 97434) (541) 946-2200 Open 7 days a week 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.