Charges: Mother let toddler die after eating meth
SPANAWAY, Wash. -- A 26-year-old woman was charged with manslaughter Tuesday after her 2-year-old son reportedly ate enough meth to kill an adult and she failed to do anything to prevent his death, according to the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office.
According to the Prosecutor's Office, Alyia Iverson was doing drugs with a number of other people in her Spanaway home in December 2012 when she saw her son drink her bong water.
Instead of calling 911, Iverson reportedly tightly wrapped the victim in a blanket and put him on the bed, later cleaning a spot for him on the floor when he started, in her words, "pissing and moaning."
Two hours later, the victim wasn't breathing. Medics arrived to find the toddler without a pulse and with his jaw locked shut. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
According to the Prosecutor's Office, the victim died from acute methamphetamine poisoning and also had THC in his bloodstream. He would have had a fever, convulsions and seizures before dying.
Witnesses, including Iverson's cousin, chronicled a history of child abuse. Iverson would reportedly smoke meth in front of the victim and his sister, physically abuse them, and not feed them properly. The victim was once seen drinking out of a dog bowl.
According to the Prosecutor's Office, the victim was extremely dirty and had bruises when he was brought to the hospital the night of his death.
The victim and his sister had been taken away from Iverson in 2011 only for her to later regain custody.
"Sad, tragic and avoidable," Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said in a press release. "Parents are supposed to protect and care for their children. When a helpless child dies from drug poisoning, there needs to be accountability."