'Tis the season for house fires

House fires tend to spike at this time of year, so you need to be extra careful.

Candles are the most common cause of holiday-related fires. And they can cause a lot of damage.

"We know that Christmas week is among the top three weeks of the year for candle-related claims," said Kate Hollcraft with Allstate insurnace. "The median cost for those claims is about $50,000."

Hollcraft says Christmas tree fires continue to be a problem and these fires can do a lot of damage.

"The median cost for Christmas tree-related claims is more than $100,000 and more importantly than the cost, we've see people's entire homes burn down, their cars burn," she said/ "We've seen people lose their lives by not taking a little bit of extra precaution with their Christmas tree."

Play it safe. Make sure your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working and that your fire extinguishers - you should have a few around the house - are full. Everyone in the family should know where they are and how to use them.

Be especially careful with candles. Put them on a sturdy surface that is out of reach of children or pets. Never leave a burning candle unattended. When you leave the room, it should go out.

"Make it a part of your routine to check every night that your candles are extinguished before you go to bed," Hollcraft said.

More Info: Allstate Data Shows Hazards Hit Close to Home During Holiday Season